Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Ubuntu on Virtualbox. Screen resolution optimization

As I explained in one of my first post about the CS 460 project, I was running Ruby on Rails a virtualized instance of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86 using VirtualBox. Matt S. recommended me to use Linux instead of Windows because the ROR installation was much easier, apart from the fact that all this software is free.

I have been working along more than two months with ROR on Ubuntu, especially focused on the functionality of the application. However, a problem came up when we moved to the design, because my virtual machine could only be set-up to a resolution of 1024 x 768 px., which was not good in terms of design tasks. For this reason, I had to figure out a way to improve the screen resolution of my Ubuntu installation, and I finally got it after a research on some Internet forums.

In fact, there exists a resource to easily get better graphic performance, which is named "Virtualbox Guest Additions". By default, VirtualBox provides graphics support through custom virtual graphics The Guest Additions is a package available for Windows, Linux, Solaris, OpenSolaris and OS/2 that includes a special video driver for increasing video performance and also includes additional features, such as automatically adjusting the guest resolution when resizing the VirtualBox window or selecting fullscreen mode.

The installation is quite easy. In Ubuntu, open a terminal and run:

> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo apt-get install dkms

Then, you have to reboot your guest system in order to activate the updates. Again, open a terminal and run:

> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso

Once I installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions, I rebooted the Virtual Machine and selected "Auto-resize guest display" on the "View" menu. This allowed to see an optimal resolution depending on your screen (anyway, higher than 1024 x 768 px.). Thanks to this package, now I am able to work with the Demigod's design properly; even use my laptop to display demos in client meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment